The purpose of this article is to compare the Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665 universal remote controls. We’ll examine some of the pros and cons, look for similarities and differences, and compare these two smart remotes side by side.
What are the main differences between Logitech Harmony 650 VS 665 remotes??
There isn’t much of a difference between Logitech Harmony 650 Vs 665 remotes. Apart from the obvious color difference (the 650 is gray and the 665 is black), the Harmony 665 can replace twice as many remotes as the 700. With the Harmony 665, you can consolidate up to 10 remotes into one instead of just five with the Harmony 650.
Both of these remotes are not rechargeable. If you want a rechargeable option in the same price range, look at the Harmony 700.
Here’s my full review of the Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665!
It’s almost a tie!
Logitech Harmony is one of the biggest names in universal remotes.
Logitech is the leader in remote controls that control your home theater and smart home devices.
Neither of these remotes can control smart devices, but they both do a great job controlling home theater equipment.
You can use either of these universal remotes to control your Smart TV, cable box, Roku/Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV player, DVR, audio receiver, soundbar, and a whole lot more with a single remote.
On your coffee table, which one should be next to the chess board?
Now let’s compare Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665.
Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665: Comparative Guide
This quick comparison table compares the major features of the Logitech Harmony 665 vs 650 remotes at a glance. Further specifications are provided below.
Best Budget Home Entertainment Remote
Solid Runner Up
Logitech Harmony 650
Logitech Harmony 665
|Device Control Limit||8||12|
|Number of Supported Devices||275,000||275,000|
|Smart Home Control||x||x|
|Batteries||2 AA||2 AA|
Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665: Are they comparable?
Since 2004, Logitech has released a number of upgrades to its Harmony line of universal remote controls. With one notable exception, Harmony’s ongoing improvements have been good news for customers and the company alike. Considering all the different versions of the remotes, the branding can be a bit confusing.
What’s the difference between Logitech Harmony 650 vs Logitech Harmony 665, on earth? Was it just an addition of 15 to 650? Funny. In any case, I am here to explain. In the rest of this review, I’ll compare Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665 head-to-head. Here are mini-reviews of each remote followed by similarities and differences between them.
My next step will be to dive a bit deeper into product specifications. But why? To help you make an informed decision. What’s the bottom line? In my opinion, the 665 comes out on top from a design and features standpoint. I will elaborate below.
Harmony 665 Mini Review
I’m impressed with the Harmony 665. As a proponent of smart home technology, my main complaint with this remote is that it won’t support smart home features.
Check out our review of the Harmony Elite or Harmony Express if you want to integrate your smart home and entertainment (Alexa dims the lights and lowers your smart blinds when you tell her to “watch a movie”).
Now back to the Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665. Both of these remote controls are great for controlling the devices in your entertainment center. In addition, you can set up activities like Watch a movie to bring up all your home theater components.
This includes your TV, soundbar/surround sound system, Tivo, Apple TV, Roku, etc. Thus, from this perspective, it is a good way to consolidate the various remotes you have laying around your living room. Moreover, you can control up to 10 supported devices from Logitech’s massive database of 275,000 components. Most likely, if you own it, you can control it.
Deals can be found on Amazon, however. Two, the 665 supports twice as many devices as the 650, which is great with today’s sophisticated setups and with people often owning multiple streaming devices. And third, it’s very colorful. I prefer the matte black version over the gray one.
We thank Erin Lawrence from Best Buy Canada for her usual helpful review.
- Controls up to 10 devices and consolidates 10 remote controls into one.
- The new matte black remote looks pretty slick.
- Over 275,000 devices from 5,500 brands are supported, so your device is likely to be supported.
- Setup is simple using Harmony’s software and a USB connection to your computer [no remote codes required].
- Supports custom activities to fire up required home theater devices [turn on the TV, soundbar, and play Netflix on Roku].
- Your movie night date will be impressed by the mini color display screen [but not as much as the Harmony Elite].
- Does not control your smart home devices [like smart lights, smart blinds, smart locks, thermostats, etc.].
- Does not work with Alexa or Google Home.
- Multiple family members or remote control of devices away from home are not supported by smartphone apps.
- Batteries drain too quickly for some customers.
- Only one room can be controlled.
- Limited control over devices inside cabinets.
Logitech Harmony 650 Mini Review
I don’t know when they will stop distributing this puppy, however. You should probably pick up this remote if you have your heart set on it. It’s probably starting to dawn on you that the main difference between the Logitech Harmony 665 and 650 is that the 665 lets you control twice as many devices. The reason for this is almost certainly streaming media. Several people, including myself, have multiple streaming players such as Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, etc.
It can also be used to control multiple video game consoles. Even though you may think 12 is a lot, once you consider this, your device limit could be reached quickly.
You should really compare the Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665 based on how many devices you want to control.
However, you still get all of the other benefits of the 665 remote. Yet again, neither of these remotes allows you to control your smart home. You will probably want to do this in the future, but for now these remotes might be a nice stopgap. It really depends on what you want to control.
Thanks to themo8370 for this really informative and detailed video review that runs for around 14 minutes. Great work!
- More affordable than the 665.
- There are some people who have a [strong!] preference for the gray color over the black color.
- Supports activities such as watching TV.
- It has 25 programmable favorite channels just like the 665.
- 275,000 devices are supported.
- A number of support forums are available for both of these remotes that can help you solve just about any challenge.
- You can only control eight devices instead of 12.
- Other cons are the same as those of the 665.
Comparative and Distinctive Features: Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665
Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665: Likenesses
- Both remotes feature a color display screen.
- Secondly, both run on AA batteries, but you can get rechargeable ones.
- Both have backlit buttons (all buttons below the display screen are backlit).
- Although some customers report success controlling devices inside cabinets, both require line of sight to your devices.
- You cannot control smart home devices with either remote.
- One-touch activation of activities.
- It is fairly easy to set up with Harmony’s online setup process from your computer [no remote codes required].
Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665: Features
- You can control up to 12 devices with the 665, but only eight with the 650.
- The 650 comes only in gray, while the 665 comes in black.
- Logitech continues to actively market and support the 665; although it looks like they will continue to support the 650, it is not clear if this will change in the future.
What’s inside the box?
This section explains what’s inside the box for each remote.
What’s inside the Logitech Harmony 665 Box?
Inside the Logitech Harmony 665 box you’ll find:
- A remote control for the Harmony 650.
- Two AA batteries are included.
- USB cable included.
- User Manual.
What’s inside the Logitech Harmony 650 Box?
Inside the Harmony Elite box, you’ll find:
- A Harmony 650 remote control.
- Two AA batteries are included.
- USB cable included.
- User Manual.
Technical details: Logitech Harmony 650 vs 665
|Logitech Harmony 650||Logitech Harmony 665|
|Dimensions||5.4 x 9.5 inches x 1.9||5.7 x 10.7 x 1.6 in|
|Weight||8 ounces||9.9 ounces|
|Number of Devices||8||12|
|Supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0 (BLE) and Z-Wave, and includes IR blaster||No||No|
|Controls TV, cable boxes, Direct TV, sound bars, and music systems||All major brands||All major brands|
|Controls smart lights||No||No|
|Controls smart thermostats||No||No|
|Controls entertainment products like Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire TV||Yes||Yes|
|Controls newer video game consoles [Sony PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Xbox One]||Yes||Yes|
|Number of devices supported||275,000 and growing||275,000 and growing|
|Requires line of sight [LOS] to devices||Yes||Yes|
|Full color touch screen||No, Display only||No, Display only|
|Screen size and colors||1.5 inch (diagonal), 65,000 color screen, 128 x 128 pixels||1.5 inch (diagonal), 65,000 color screen, 128 x 128 pixels|
|One-touch activities (Watch Movie, Play Game, Listen to Music) to switch all devices to right settings||Yes||Yes|
|Compatible with Amazon Alexa||No||No|
|Compatible with Google Home||No||No|
|Backlit physical buttons||Yes, below LCD||Yes, below LCD|
|Companion Smartphone App||No||No|
|Battery Type||2 AA [included]||2 AA [included]|
|Battery Life||Varies depending on use||Varies depending on use|
|Setup||Via Computer USB connection to remote||Via Computer USB connection to remote|
But this ship can’t sink!. [Go for bonus points if you name the movie!]
Leave a comment below and let us know what you think.
You might also enjoy our other posts:
Logitech Harmony 665 Vs 650: Which one is better?
How do you compare the Logitech Harmony 665 vs 650? Is control over your home entertainment devices enough for you? Do you also need control over smart home devices?
In your opinion, does the 665 edge out the 650 because it offers control of two additional devices? What are your thoughts on the black vs gray color choices?