It seems counterproductive to keep freshly-washed clothes clean by loading them into a smelly dryer. What is the reason why my dryer smells soThe dryer drum can become infested with mold and mildew if clothes stay damp for too long. Learn how to remove the odor and prevent it from coming back into your clothes dryer.
Table of Contents
Is thereif my clothes dryer smells?
Although air drying your clothes might be a temporary fix, banishing odors and keeping them away will keep your dryer working. Our guide will show you how to clean both with a list of supplies and straightforward steps. To fight odors, you need to know why your clothes dryer stinks.
Do youto know why your dryer smells
There are several possible causes of dryer odor, most of which are related to improper care and maintenance.
The following causes are often responsible for the smell of your clothes dryer:
- Mold and mildew grow on damp clothing left in the washer or dryer for long periods of time. Both clothes and dryer drums can retain odors after they have been dried.
- Small animals often nest in dryer vents, entering through the exterior duct. Is there a reason why my dryer smells as if something is rotten inside it?
- In dryer vents, lint builds up, limiting air circulation, allowing odors to linger. Drying clothes too slowly is also an indication of restricted airflow. When the dryer is running, smelly clothing lint can also retain that odor, resulting in
What is the fastest and easiest way to clean a dryer that smells
In the event you have a dryer thatlls bad, you should clean it thoroughly to remove the odor.
Here are the supplies you’ll need:
- White vinegar.
- Clean rag.
Follow these steps after disconnecting the dryer’s power:
Step 1: Remove the lint trap and clean it.
After removing the lint trap, wipe away any accumulated lint with a clean rag. Smaller particles can bewith the narrow hose attachment of a vacuum. To remove residue, run the trap under running water and scrub it with a soft brush.
Step 2: Remove the lint trap housing and clean it.
It is recommended that you remove any accumulated lint from the trap’s housing with the vacuum hose attachment during the drying process. It is also a idea to vacuum the area around the dryer and under the vent.
Step 3: Take out the lint from your dryer vent.
The dryer should be moved away from the wall and its vent should be disconnected. Lint and foreign objects can be removed from the vent by vacuuming it. Additionally, you should clean the exterior vent openings and flaps. Connect the interior vent of your dryer and reposition it.
Step 4: Take a brush and clean the inside of the dryer.
Clean a towel by dipping it in a solution of one cup bleach diluted with one gallon of cool water. White vinegar can also be used to soak the towel. The towel should be dipped in bleach solution or vinegar repeatedly tothe dryer drum. Make sure the dryer door and seal are clean before leaving it open so it can air dry. Wipe the dryer down again with a damp cloth after with bleach or vinegar.
Step 5: Wipe the exterior of the dryer with a damp cloth.
Don’t forget to clean the outside of your clothes dryer when it stinks; lint and dirt can accumulate there as well. Wipe down the dryer’s outside with a damp cloth and dry it thoroughly before restoring power.
You can preventsmells from arising from your dryer by following these tips.
Once your dryer has been cleaned and odor-free, you can prevent it from returning with a few simple maintenance steps.
You should follow these tips for dryer maintenance to avoidsmells.
- When you take damp clothing out of the washer after the wash cycle is complete, dry it right away to prevent mold and mildew.
- Clean the lint trap and its housing before each drying cycle with a vacuum hose attachment and a clean paper towel.
- Lint and debris should be removed from dryer vents annually. You may need to clean your clothes more frequently when smells return or they take a long time to dry.
Is your dryer still plagued bysmells, or is it simply not working as it should? A professional assessment may be necessary at this point.